Every year, there are a few kids in the building that just can't initiate the process of calming down. This little tool is pretty to look at, fun to watch and takes about 2-3 minutes to settle. It's a simple way to remove a child from a stressful or overwhelming situation and take a moment to be "mindful". If you have an impulsive child, I have suggested that the teacher tape a small picture or word to the back of the bottle. The child has to wait till they can "see" the picture and then needs to tell the adult what the "hidden" item is. It'll take at least 30 seconds for enough glitter to settle to even remotely make out the picture, and sometimes that 30 seconds is all you need.
- 1 empty, clean plastic bottle with a top (We used 12oz soda bottles - we found plastic Snapple bottles have a cool texture for grasping - thanks to my VP for the donations!)
- 1 small bottle (about 3fl. oz) of glitter glue (We liked red the best. We did NOT like black)
- 1-2 tablespoons of regular glitter (not fine) (We liked gold the best)
- WARM water
- Squeeze the entire contents of the glitter glue bottle into the empty plastic bottle. (Great task for strengthening little hand muscles!)
- Carefully dump the tablespoons of regular glitter into the bottle.
- Fill the bottle about 1/2 way full with warm water
- Screw the lid on and MIX LIKE HECK. Here's something the other sites didn't mention: The glitter will clump together at first (think like a lava lamp) - keep shaking. I mean it, shake it for like 5 minutes. Eventually, the clumps will disperse, I promise.
- Once the glitter has dispersed, fill the remaining bottle with water, all the way to the top. Bubbles/foam may have formed from the mixing process - as you fill the bottle, make sure the bubble flow out of the top so the final product has very little or no bubbles/foam.
If you feel festive - add some fun things to the bottle, like sparkly beads or sequins.
Some more tidbits - I've seen recipes with oil. In my experiments, I found that the oil created more like a lava lamp effect. The clumps never dispersed or settled. If you're looking to make something for your kids that need functional visual stim tools - this might be the route to go. Also, you may want to hot glue that cap on unless your willing to clean up a glitter bath. FYI Baby Oil bottles are clean and have child-proof lids.